Mean sea level is a vague notion that needs to be clearly defined to have a good understanding of the signals contained in the series of values and to interpret the variations (temporal mean? spatial mean? in what extension?).
The definition adopted in SONEL corresponds to the definition of the Permanent Service for Mean Sea Level, the PSMSL, and of the Global Sea Level Observing System GLOSS to which SONEL contributes. The means are temporal averages at the tide gauges (point on the coast), over daily, monthly and annual periods.
There are, however, different ways to calculate these means. They are briefly summarised below:
– Annual values: arithmetic means of monthly means weighted for the number of days actually observed during the month. The value is calculated if at least 11 monthly values are actually available (cf. rules of the PSMSL).
– Monthly values : arithmetic means of daily means. However, the value is not calculated if more than 15 days are missing (cf. rules of the PSMSL).
– Daily values: the choice of an arithmetic mean over a 24h period has the disadvantage that it does not adequately filter the signals from periods of less than one day, particularly those from tides for which a period of 24h50 would be more suitable. Filters have been designed to do this (Doodson, Demerliac). Pugh (1987) reexamined the different filters and concluded that the differences were minimal for the monthly means at Newlyn (1-2 mm). We have adopted the Demerliac filter for historical reasons, but the Doodson filter is proposed to the users as well. Click on the link to find out more about filters.
– The daily, monthly and annual heights are expressed in millimetres.
– The dates are in decimal years (centred on the 15th day of the month for monthly values and at midday for daily values).
If you have a relevant reference to suggest, please send-us an e-mail : email@example.com
Dodet, Bertin et al., 2019.Characterization of Sea-level Variations Along the Metropolitan Coasts of France: Waves, Tides, Storm Surges and Long-term Changes.
Intervention by the SHOM to change the acquisition central of the tide gauge. Before it was an Elta system, now it is a Campbell. Also, installation of the meteorological sensor METSENS500 and a camera MOBOTIX.
Le 21/01/2010 (07/04/2010)
Mise en place du temps réel nettoyage du câble de l'optiflex.
Le 16/02/2010 (07/04/2010)
Relance du MCN. Archivage des données.
Le 07/12/2009 (07/04/2010)
Problème de connexion avec le marégraphe. Problème avec ligne téléphonique d'une semaine. Puis retour à la normale sans incidence sur les données.
Le 28/06/1999 (06/04/2010)
Installation d'un marégraphe côtier numérique (MCN): capteur radar Krohne BM70 et centrale d'acquisition HT200.
Le 19/10/2006 (06/04/2010)
Changement de marégraphe: capteur radar Krohne Optiflex et mise en place d'une centrale ELTA.
Le 26/11/2009 (11/12/2009)
Relance du MCN. Archive des données à 10 min et HH. (Manque du 28/06 au 30/06)